The establishment of representative offices of foreign traders in Vietnam have to follow the procedures as guided by the Commercial Law in Vietnam and the related decrees providing instructions of the law.
Preparation of dossiers for establishment of representative offices includes:
- An application form for License for Establishment of the representative office using the form promulgated by the Ministry of Industry and Trade and signed by a competent representative of the foreign trader.
- Copies of the Certificate of Business Registration or equivalent documents of the foreign trader (shall be certified or legalized by overseas diplomatic missions or Consulates of Vietnam under laws of Vietnam);
- A letter of appointment of the head of the representative office (shall be translated into Vietnamese and certified true in accordance with laws of Vietnam);
- Copies of audited financial statements or certificates of fulfillment of tax liabilities or financial obligations of the last fiscal year or equivalent documents as proof of existence and operation of the foreign trader issued or certified by competent authorities where such foreign trader is established (shall be translated into Vietnamese and certified true in accordance with laws of Vietnam);
- Copies of the passport or ID card (for Vietnamese) or copies of the passport (for foreigners) of the head of the representative office (shall be translated into Vietnamese and certified true in accordance with laws of Vietnam.);
- Documents on the expected location of the representative office including:
Copies of memorandum of understanding or leasing agreements or documents as proof of the right to use a location as the representative office;
Copies of documents on the expected location of the representative office.
Procedures for granting of Licenses for Establishment of representative offices:
- Foreign traders submit applications directly or via post or online (if applicable) to the Department of Industry and Trade of the locality where the representative office is to be located.
- Within 03 working days from the date of receipt of the dossier, the Department of Industry and Trade shall examine and request the supplement if the dossier is incomplete and invalid. Requests for additional records are made at most once during the processing of applications.
- Except for the establishment of a representative office have to submit for directions of the relevant Ministry of Industry, within 07 working days from the date of receipt of a complete and valid application the Department of Industry and Trade shall grant or refuse to grant a license for establish a representative office for foreign trader. In case of refusal, the reasons must be clearly stated in writing.
- Where the establishment of a Representative Office is subject to the approval of the relevant Minister or the Head of the ministerial level agency and the establishment of a Representative Office not yet stipulated in the normative document. The Department of Industry and Trade shall send a written request for directions to the specialized management ministry within 03 working days from the date of receipt of a complete and valid dossier. Within 05 working days from the date of receipt of the written request for the directions of the Department of Industry and Trade, the specialized management ministry shall issue a written statement stating its consent or refusal to grant a license for the establishment of the representative office. Within 5 working days after receiving the opinions of the specialized managing ministries, the provincial / municipal Industry and Trade Services shall grant or refuse to grant permits for the establishment of representative offices to foreign traders. In case of non-licensing, the reasons therefor must be clearly stated in writing.
In addition, for certain special cases managed by the specialized management ministry, the licensing of representative offices is carried out in accordance with the specific regulations.
Our lawyers in Vietnam constantly follow up with changes of law to provide the client with update for better decision making process.