Visa and Immigration Matters in Vietnam

Foreigners  entering  Vietnam  for  different  purposes  will  need proper  visa  issued,  failing  which  would lead  to  the  revocation,  invalidation  of  entry/exit/residence  permits issued  by  Vietnamese  competent authorities.  The  length  of stay  in  Vietnam for foreigners  depend  on the  visa type and the time  duration specified  on  the  visa  itself.    For  some  visas,  especially  work  related  visas,  the  foreigners  need  to  be sponsored by Vietnam enterprises  for working purpose.  The proper works  visa must be obtained before work permit in Vietnam would be issued and the foreigners could apply for temporary residence card to stay in Vietnam for a longer period.

Below lists down all visa symbol for references.

  1. NG1 –  Issued  to  members  of  delegations  invited  by  the  Secretary  General  of  Vietnam’s  Communist Party of, the President of Vietnam, the President of the National Assembly, the Prime Minister.
  2. NG2 –  issued  to  members  of  delegations  invited  by  standing  members  of  the  Secretariat  of  the Vietnam’s Communist Party, Deputy President of Vietnam, Deputy President of the National Assembly, Deputy  Prime  Minister,  President  of  Vietnamese  Fatherland  Front,  Executive  Judge  of  The  Supreme Court, Chief Procurator of the Supreme Procuracy, State Auditor General; members of delegations at the same  levels  of  Ministers,  Secretary  Generals  of  Provincial Communist  Authorities,  President  of  the People’s Committees of provinces.
  3. NG3 –   Issued   to   members   of   diplomatic   missions,   consular   offices,   representative   offices   of international organizations affiliated to the UN, representative offices of intergovernmental organizations and their spouses, children under 18 years of age, and housemaids during their term of office.
  4. NG4- Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  diplomatic missions,  consular  offices,  representative offices  of  international  organizations  affiliated  to  the  UN,  representative  offices  of  intergovernmental organizations,  visitors  of  members  of  diplomatic  missions,  consular  offices,  representative  offices  of international   organizations   affiliated   to   the   UN,   and   representative   offices   of   intergovernmental organizations.
  5. LV1 –  Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  units  affiliated  to  Vietnam’s  Communist  Party;  the National  Assembly,  the  government,  Central  Committee  of  Vietnamese  Fatherland  Front,  the  People’s Supreme  Court,  the  People’s  Supreme  Procuracy,  State  Audit  Agency,  Ministries,  ministerial  agencies, Governmental agencies, the People’s Councils, the People’s Committees of provinces.
  6. LV2 –  Issued  to  people  who  come  to  work  with  socio-political  organizations,  social  organizations, Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
  7. ĐT – Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam.
  8. DN – Issued to people who come to work with companies in Vietnam.
  9. NN1 –  Issued  to  Managers  of  representative  offices  or  projects  of  international  organizations  and foreign non-governmental organizations in Vietnam.
  10. NN2 – Issued to heads of representative offices, branches of foreign traders, representative offices  of other foreign economic, cultural, professional organizations in Vietnam.
  11. NN3 –   Issued   to   people   who   come   to   work   with   foreign   non-governmental   organizations, representative  offices,  branches  of  foreign  traders,  representative  offices  of  other  foreign  economic, cultural, professional organizations in Vietnam.
  12. DH – Issued to people who come to study or serve internship.
  13. HN – Issued to people who come to attend conventions or conferences.
  14. PV1 – Issued to journalists who have permanent residences in Vietnam.
  15. PV2 – Issued to journalists who come to work for a short period of time in Vietnam.
  16. LĐ – Issued to people who come to work.
  17. DL – Issued to tourists.
  18. TT –  Issued  to  foreigners  that  are  parents,  spouse,  children under  18  years  of  age  of  the  foreigners issued  with  LV1,  LV2, ĐT,  NN1,  NN2,  UNIVERSITY,  PV1,  LĐ  visas,  or  foreigners  that  are  parents, spouse, children of Vietnamese citizens.
  19. VR – Issued to people who come to visit their relatives or for have other purposes.
  20. SQ – Issued to people at an overseas visa-issuing authority of Vietnam

It is  important that the immigration lawyers  in Vietnam to be retained for advice in regard to visa, work permit, temporary residence card or other immigration matters.

How ANT Lawyers Could Help Your Business?

Please click here to learn more about ANT Lawyers or contact our lawyers in Vietnam for advice via email or call our office at +84 28 730 86 529

Visa and Immigration Matters in Vietnam
Article Name
Visa and Immigration Matters in Vietnam
Foreigners entering Vietnam for different purposes will need proper visas issued, failing which would lead to the revocation, invalidation of entry/exit/residence permits issued by Vietnamese competent authorities.

Contact us to schedule your consultation.


We are available at offices in central of Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang that help cover through out Vietnam.

Tel: +84 24 730 86 529